Mordor Server Preview: Monday July 1st w/Special Preview on Tuesday July 2nd - OPEN (2024)

Findun

Member
  • #61

Do we know when exactly the Mordor server will go online today?

C

-CasualGamer-

Well-known member
  • #62

Scenario_SSG said:

Things like lag are no simple beast to unravel, but our teams are working on it

Hopefully, you already know this, but lag in this game is not like in other games. So many people have lag problems that are nothing to do with their internet, nothing to do with lag in NJ, nothing to do with general server lag... and their PCs can handle all other games. Yet the players around them are not lagging. [I don't have any such problems myself]

Do you think the server tools that you've built to detect lag are picking up these problems? If not, what about creating a lag report button associated with the Connextion Status icon that sends all relevant local platform information to SSG? You could have an expert system type questionnaire in the browser which asks stuff like:
"Does anyone else seem to be lagging?"
"Is everything still basically working, but slowly?"

You would put in a consent form to use the data at the end to satisfy GDPR.

istvana said:

I agree entirely, as long as the wraith mechanism applies to everyone not just those electing a high difficulty. On the other hand, I have always disliked the drone strike mechanism and would happily see it replaced by wraiths on the old servers. Just for those electing that difficulty.

I'm very much in favour in favour of this! Please consider replacing drone strike completely.

Last edited:

Istuichon

Active member
  • #63

Hartagil said:

Stress Test should involve charachters who have completed Thousands of entries in the deed log. So that being said a charachter copy ability would lead to better results. No use having " empty " charachters and the client has nothing to transfer between game areas

That's exactly what happens when people copy their characters over from other places. I've always used my 16 year old character in BR tests. Or at least a copy of that character to be precise.

Cordovan

Community Manager
  • #64

Findun said:

Do we know when exactly the Mordor server will go online today?

We do not yet have an ETA to announce. It is looking like it'll be this evening Eastern time. We ran into an issue overnight with the 64 bit client that is requiring us to do additional work today. Depending on the timing of that, which is unknown at the moment, we'll get Mordor opened.

Istuichon

Active member
  • #65

-CasualGamer- said:

The thing is when it spawns something in the world and you die, the monster will still be there looking for someone else to kill. At least the drone strike only targets you. I'm playing at max difficulty and once you know how the mechanic works, it's easy to avoid, especially if you have the area affect markings turned on. (A large red square will appear just before the strike happens, so you know you need to move out).

G

Greenpath

Well-known member
  • #66

Cordovan said:

evening Eastern Time which is the middle of the night for EU. *slow clap*

E

Elrosahir

Member
  • #67

Cordovan said:

If EST is used for all specified events, you can expect low participation. In the middle of the night during the week, the turnout in the EU is lower. Such events should be planned using the GMT time zone. I definitely won't be participating tonight.

Istuichon

Active member
  • #68

Gekh said:

Opening EU server wont lead to pop loss. Oposite, will bring new ppl, and bring back ppl who quit because of constant 150ms latency. Even when server performance is great, distance lag is here for us/ eu players. So i personaly will give the EU server a try.

Distance lag is also partly because of internet routing. How many hops does it take for you to get to LOTRO's server? It's part caused by LOTRO's datacenter location but also part of your ISP network setup.

I'm located in Netherlands and have <100ms latency (currently 81ms to be precise) on the NA based servers. I'm on fiber and not to far away from a major Internet Exchange hub (AMS-IX). My latency at the other side of the Atlantic is much lower compared to some of my American friends playing on the same NA server. They are on DSL in the Midwest. Your mileage may vary.

EU server for EU people should work better, but it's not guaranteed.

Maryna said:

Could you provide us with the location of the datacentre either country/city and the corresponding IP for ping and tracert that gls.lotro.com provides us currently.

To plan where I should move too; Martinique, Chișinău or closer to home?

I'm crossing fingers in the hope i

t's: NTT Global Data Centers HH2150 Maylands Avenue Hemel Hempstead HP2 7DF UK and I can stay put. Will understand if it's Amsterdam for all our benefit however.

P.S. Will it be closed after 2 to 3.5 years if we end with a thriving population catching up to main server cap?

Thanks in advance.

It will probably either be routed through DE-CIX (Frankfurt) or AMS-IX (Amsterdam) because those are the two biggest in Europe. It doesn't make sense to host in the UK, which is much smaller.

Cordovan

Community Manager
  • #69

Elrosahir said:

Yes, the main European stress test will begin at 3pm Eastern on Tuesday. The timing of it technically opening on Monday is fluid depending on how things go, but we are expecting the main test to not happen right away but instead start tomorrow afternoon Eastern.

C

-CasualGamer-

Well-known member
  • #70

Istuichon said:

My assumption is that've already thought of this. Likely, Nazgul will be mostly avoidable even for D9 players and lesser wraiths may dematieralise after the fight.

Istuichon said:

Yes, it's a fairly weak mechanism and only gets me when I'm too zoomed in.

Istuichon said:

There seem to be numerous cases of bad routing. I know a guy who fixed his lag by changing his MTU!

The other thing that a lag reporting system would do is give indications of more normal problems that players are having.

Z

zalexia27

Member
  • #71

Cordovan said:

We are working to open the upcoming Mordor server for a special preview on Monday, July 1st, time to be determined, with a special stress test and wraith event preview on Tuesday. This preview will continue until 3pm Eastern on Wednesday, July 3rd.

Here are the details about Tuesday's event: We would like as many people as possible to try logging into Mordor starting at 3pm Eastern (-4 GMT) on Tuesday, July 2nd to test the capabilities of the European-located server. Starting at 3pm Eastern a member of the LOTRO Team will be on Mordor spawning Ringwraiths as well. This event will continue until 5pm Eastern (-4 GMT).

This test will be accessible through the Bullroarer game client. Players will be able to select and enter Mordor after logging into the Bullroarer game client. Mordor will be accessible to VIPs when it arrives on the live game client, but for this preview the server will be available to access to all account types. We will have a Bullroarer Forum thread on Monday to gather feedback about your experience.

where does it start and can we stream it on our personal end?

Polymachos

Believes he is a Wiki
  • #72

You are planning to run a stress test on an EU server, done by Europeans, at 3 pm eastern US time. For me, this translates to 21:00 CEST, aka half an hour before sunset (in my place, the UK have a different time zone). And then we get 24 hours to do it. Did I get this right?

Greetings, Polymachos

G

Grimdoin

New member
  • #73

Polymachos said:

Greetings, Polymachos

Yeah 3PM CET when everyone is a work makes much more sense Mordor Server Preview: Monday July 1st w/Special Preview on Tuesday July 2nd - OPEN (8) Glad they are doing it in the evening when the kids are in bed Mordor Server Preview: Monday July 1st w/Special Preview on Tuesday July 2nd - OPEN (9)

Gekh

Well-known member
  • #74

Polymachos said:

Greetings, Polymachos

they want to stress test the playebase, not the server

auximenes

Well-known member
  • #75

istvana said:

I think the wraith concept is much better than the air strike. I hope it performs well and we get to see it on regular servers.

Gildoriel

Guardian of the Citadel
  • #76

Istuichon said:

EU server for EU people should work better, but it's not guaranteed.

I am in South-Western Germany, and my latency usually is ~98ms though some of my kinmates who are also in Germany have higher values.

A

Arabani

Well-known member
  • #77

-CasualGamer- said:

I think people misunderstood the developers. From what I gathered, the new event has nothing to do with the difficulty system (except that it is of course harder to kill the wraiths), it is the server rules regardless if one is engaged with the difficulty system or not.

So, once again, pleas leave wraiths and such on the event server Mordor Server Preview: Monday July 1st w/Special Preview on Tuesday July 2nd - OPEN (13)

Cordovan

Community Manager
  • #78

In relation to the Landscape Difficulty system, lesser wraiths will abide by your difficulty setting (character side debuffs), but landscape difficulty will be suppressed in zones around spawned Ringwraiths.

Findun

Member
  • #79

Past 10PM in EU. Really was hoping to jump on the server today

B

Birbryn

New member
  • #80

Do we have any info about when will the Mordor be opened?

You must log in or register to reply here.

References